Re: [Shop-talk] Cleaning a sealed gas tank

To: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cleaning a sealed gas tank
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:28:00 -0700
re: "It's really hard to blame POR-15 for a 16 year old product..."

I've given this lots of thought and have to respectfully disagree with this
statement.  Here's my reasoning:

1) I can't give an exact date, but I know ethanol has been added to
gasoline--we
used to call it "gasahol"--in California for at least 19 years.  There was a
Beacon--now Arco--gas station around the corner from my apartment whose pumps
were marked "contains ethanol."  It was cheaper than other brands, and I'd use
it in my beater Subaru but wouldn't put it in my Healey

2) Any product for use with with organic or caustic liquids should be tested
against all common organic liquids, and ethanol is a common organic liquid (you
can buy it at any liquor store)

3) The company selling the product should be expected to test its products
against said compounds as part of a QA process.  There are standardized  tests
against which this type of product should be measured (treat the surface,
immerse the sample at several temperatures for a specified period, etc.)

IMO, the POR-15 company should be held accountable for the failure of its
product under these circumstances.

Again, I can't remember the exact date, but I used a Bill Hirsh tank sealant in
the Healey at least 16 years ago and have had no problems with all the crap
that's been put in California gas (ethanol, MTBE and who-knows-what else).

FWIW, I have no financial or other interest in either POR-15 or Bill Hirsch
products.

bs