Re: [Shop-talk] air tank mounting/filling suggestions?

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] air tank mounting/filling suggestions?
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:25:54 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009, scott.hall@comcast.net wrote:
> so I got a new air tank from harbor freight. it's got the schraeder
> chuck for filling, with a dial open/close valve. it works fine but takes
> forever to fill it. I was going to hook up a quick disconnect off the
> main compressor line and some ball valves, but I thought before I
> reinvented the wheel I'd ask here to see if anyone has a setup they
> like.

I don't know about how much I like it, but I've not been able to find a
better way...

I put a regular quick disconnect at the end of the hose.  Normally a tire
chuck lives in it, but when I want to fill it I shut off the tank and put
in a male to male disconnect adapter.  Hook that up to the supply air
line, turn on the tank valve, and it fills.  Shut off the tank, detach the
_supply line from the adapter_ (otherwise you get to listen to the nice
roaring sound of air.. :-) and you're done.

I'd much rather have a male adapter mounted directly to the tank with its
own valve or a one way check valve, but haven't every seen something that
will do this without having a bunch of home depot valves all over the top
of the tank.

Mark