[Shop-talk] Brake squeal

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Brake squeal
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:12:06 -0400
OK, my truck's brakes are squealing like they need to be replaced.  So I
pulled the tires to check them and they are less than 1/4 worn (and nowhere
near the metal indictor.)

So I don't know what else to be looking at.  Note, this is for a 2001 Ford
Explorer and this is the truck that sat for a year while I was in Iraq.

So the question is, can the brake pads "wear" or "degenerate" without the
truck being used?  Should I just replace all the brake pads (even though
they look basically new.)

Or is it just that brake pads now start squealing so much earlier because
people put off maintainance that long?

Or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks.

Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.