Re: [Shop-talk] Retaining ring pliers?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Retaining ring pliers?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 20:16:50 -0500
On Jan 4, 2010, at 6:59 PM, Randall wrote:

> Tough to say for sure, Jim, but that looks similar to the retaining
> ring
> used on my Triumph starters.  If it is, then the collar cannot slide
> over
> the ring.  Instead, you have to push the collar back from the ring,
> and pry
> the ring out of it's groove first.  Once it's out of the groove, the
> collar
> can be used to force it along the shaft.

Exactly. Except the collar can't be reinstalled over the ring without
compressing the ring a bit, since the ring expands into the collar
once positioned. It's likely the collar itself could compress the ring
as it slides into position, but there's no way to yank it hard enough.
The correct way is to use a gear puller to provide tension while
massaging the circlip, but mine are buried in a storage unit for a few
weeks.

> Then pry the ring out, working around the shaft.  Not an easy process.

It's a bloody pain. Literally :-)

However,

On Jan 4, 2010, at 7:24 PM, Eric J Russell wrote:

> Scroll down about 3/4's of the way down the page:
> http://www.crawfordtool.com/knipex_retaining_ring_pliers.html

These will work. Thanks!

jim