Re: [Shop-talk] Lighting

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lighting
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:05:50 -0800
> A couple of years ago I put in a bunch of T8 fixtures (I
> think they can actually take either T8 or T12 bulbs),
> supposedly electronic ballast.

Sockets are the same, but the ballasts are not.  I learned this the hard way
with a kitchen fixture that I mistakenly installed T12 bulbs in.  The
ballast died within about 3 years (didn't realize it was a T8 ballast until
after I removed it and read the label).  You might double-check that you are
using the lamps that match your ballasts.  This is my first experience with
T8 bulbs, but I've also found that some T12 ballasts don't like "energy
saver" T12 bulbs.

> I found that just removing and
> reinstalling the bulb would "fix" the problem for a while.

Are the fixtures properly grounded?

-- Randall