Re: [Shop-talk] Adjusting exhaust

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Adjusting exhaust
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:49:55 -0400
Well, you must be a stronger man than I am.  The only way I could
possibly see doing that is where a bend has a couple of feet of
straight pipe on each side for leverage.  It doesn't always work out
like that.  If you ever get a chance to see the "Working with Tubing"
DVD by Ron Covell, he takes a piece of metal channel and sets a piece
of tubing in it raised up on some stands, maybe an inch high.  He
claims the metal channel redirects heat from the torch back onto the
pipe.  Anyway, he gets a section of tubing a foot or so long bright
red using an oxyacetylene torch.  He just keeps running the torch
back and forth while turning the tubing a little bit.  Maybe I can
get him to come over and give me a few pointers.

-Steve

At 06:30 PM 3/14/2010, Randall wrote:
> > but I don't know how that would help when the goal is to decrease a
> > bend.
>
>If you just want to decrease an existing bend by a little, I would suggest
>doing it cold.  It won't take a lot of encouragement for the pipe to return
>towards it's original shape, and it's not likely to crimp if you aren't
>going very far.
>
> > I still think a torch and a little pressure is a reasonable approach
> > for minor adjustments.
>
>I've tried that, with limited success.  Have a really hard time getting a
>large enough area soft enough to bend, without overheating a smaller area.
>Maybe I just need a bigger torch.
>
>Randall

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96