Re: [Shop-talk] alternative fluids for parts washers

To: richard@kleihorst.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] alternative fluids for parts washers
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:00:56 -0400
On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 3:39 AM, Richard Kleihorst <richard@kleihorst.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a 45L parts washer and considering what fluid to use. Usually
> kerosine,
> diesel or petroleum based derivatives are used, but I have some health
> considerations because of the nasty chemicals inside. Especially the
> aromats,
> benzenes and olefinen are no use for cleaning, but unsafe to breathe.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with other cleaning agents, such as liquid
> soap, vinegar, cleaning soda?
> I tried to use the dishwasher (they clean with lye) but it might take 4
> runs
> to do something decent for engine parts, and you have to make sure that the
> SO
> doesn't catch you.
>
> There are number of aqueous products sold as a drop in replacement fro
petroleum based ones.  I've used a couple (I don't actually know what the
products were, I just used the parts washer.  One was a safety-kleen
supplied setupk, thoug.) They worked okay; heating them tends to improve
performance.    Different solutions work better in different styles of parts
washers.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com