Re: [Shop-talk] Stab in the dark here

To: Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Stab in the dark here
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:27:52 +0430
Actually, the Afghani government did start filtering all connectivity
coming into the country.  Even though our satellite is out of Germany, the
company was required to filter all their accounts in Afghanistan (or they
would lose their business licence in the country.)  I already confirmed
this with our provider.

It's been a major PIA.  Not only are they filtering content, they aren't
doing a good job of it.

FWIW, things here in Afghanistan are getting worst.  The government is
cracking down on everything, and it's trying to push the US and NATO out
(fine by me.)

Yesterday the local police started raiding contractor residences looking
for alcohol.  So last night we had to get rid of all of our booze.  We
have over 100 bottles and their was only 18 of us to drink/to whatever to
get rid of it.
 Not only do I have a massive hangover today, but I got some great
pictures of me in a Jacuzzi tub filled with red wine and champagne! Which,
BTW, I'm sure I'll being asking a question about how to fix a Jacuzzi pump
after it fails.

Did you know that submerging yourself in liquor REALLY burns your eyes?
8>)

I'll have to post the pictures soon.

Moose
Waldo Emerson

Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
04/29/2010 00:48

eric@megageek.com
cc
Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] Stab in the dark here

Eric-

Is your connectivity via satellite or is it terrestrial-based? If it
is satellite, then I don't think the Afghani government has much
control over what traverses your link via the satellite. Satellite
providers have a lot of gear in place to control application
performance, caching, etc - as well as block applications that can jam
up the limited "pipe" through the bird.

In any case, I would check with your provider and see if they are
doing any filtering, transparent proxying, etc. Let me know if you
need any USA-based testing help.

-Peter (recovering ISP backbone engineer)

--
Peter Murray (N3IXY)
Oak Hill, VA

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 8:45 AM,  <eric@megageek.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.  I don't have any firewall in front of the unit (I
> didn't want to add to complexity until I got it working.)
>
> The Afghani government just started filtering all traffic in the
country,
> I wonder if they are blocking certain ports.  um...
>
> Moose
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
> Waldo Emerson

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive