Re: [Shop-talk] Welding a full tank

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding a full tank
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 15:50:29 -0400
On 4/30/2010 2:25 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
>> ...Car exhaust is available and portable.  With exhaust pumped
>> into the container to purge the oxygen, you can weld the tank
>>
> Right, because filling a tank with an explosive gas is always a good idea!
> Particularly right before you expose it to open flame!

I was thinking the same thing.  That sounds like a super bad idea.  What
happens if you're welding this thin sheet metal and blow a hole through
it and the gas starts leaking out?!

As far as the "explosive gas" I guess you mean CO?  Any car with a
properly functioning fuel injection and catalytic converter(s) should
have nearly zero CO content;  ditto for unburned gas or oxygen.  So if
you're ever in the mood to kill yourself, don't do the old "car in the
closed garage" trick.  It don't work anymore!

-Wayne

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive