Re: [Shop-talk] short range communications

To: "'Donald H Locker'" <dhlocker@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] short range communications
From: "Tony Vaccaro" <tvacc@lotusowners.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 00:09:37 -0400
I can give you my experiences.

The LOONYs all have settled on these: Midland X-Tra Talk GXT950VP4 Two Way
Radio (or a range that is like 20 mile and above) you can get these for like
$70 for 2.  I then went to buy.com and searched for some cheap gaming
headsets. I think they were Planatronics. I cut off one side of the ear
speakers so that you are only wearing one speaker/ear thing. I made the mics
longer by modifying them so that they are right in front of your mouth. Like
your lips are just touching them. Covered the mics with foam. That is the
only way the mics work.

I found like 20 of them on buy.com and set them all up the same way and sold
them to the LOONYs for $20 each, just what they cost. I am sure you can find
something similar.

We all use them. Good from car to car within sighting distance. They say
like 26 and 30 mile, but we only get about a mile out of them in ordinary
use on Sunday morns and on our Lotus drives.

For use in my Seven which is loud, probably like a cycle, I got some ear
plug ear phones from Sony. I use just one of them in one ear.  Works great.
I can tell when someone is calling me, but I sometimes have to push the
plugs in my ear to hear what they are saying.

If you bought some really good fitting earphone plugs...you probably would
be fine.

Tony Vaccaro

LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
www.lotusowners.com
716-861-1412

This document and any files or e-mail messages attached to it contain data
or information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise restricted from
disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the data or information
contained herein or in any of the attachments is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this document or transmission in error, please immediately
notify the sender and destroy, delete or erase this document and all
attachments.