Re: [Shop-talk] Flooring for uneven basement?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Flooring for uneven basement?
From: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 11:14:16 -0600
There are a variety of products available for floor levelling, some are
structural and some are not.

For calculation purposes, if the amplitude of mountains in your floor is
approximately 3", then the average thickness of leveling material
required would be about 1 1/2".  1 1/2" average thickness would be .94
gallons for every square foot of floor space.  Of course if you have the
ability to grind down the high spots, you could reduce the volume of
levelling compound considerably.

>> I'm renovating a basement and need to put down a finish floor. The concrete
>is
>> 90 years old and very uneven.
> Put some numbers on that.  How big are the differences, is it pitched
> from side to side (or center to sides), does it have big uneven bumps
> and holes, or what?  If it's flatish, and just not level, you can put
> a number of things (like a floating laminate, if it's dry) down.  The
> resulting floor might pitch, but that's not always awful.
>
> Self-leveling stuff is very expensive, and for big areas, with big
> holes to fill, trowelable stuff works fine, is cheaper.  Don't forget
> to consider lowering the high spots.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive