Re: [Shop-talk] Dish Network vs Direct TV

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dish Network vs Direct TV
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:56:55 -0400
On 3/14/2011 11:41 AM, Wayne wrote:

> Neat.  I'm in western North Carolina on a 40 degree or so slope with
> major tree cover.  The dish is actually on a 100 foot coax run across
> one neighbor's yard, into the second, where it's a cleared horse
> pasture and can get a clear sky view.  I've had outages maybe 5 or 6
> times in over eight years.  That includes stuff like a 2004 hurricane
> that dumped 3 feet of rain in 2 weeks.  I suspect anyone having
> reception problems has a poorly aimed dish.  The cable run doesn't
> seem to effect it.  You do need an unobstructed shot at the sky.

The first thing installers say when they get to the house is, "Yeah,
this isn't going to work."  But it's never been a problem.  One of the
Comcast guys (on one of their dozens of trips to the house) even gave me
five unsolicited minutes on how we were stuck with Comcast--heh,
heh--because he used to be a satellite installer and there was no way
we'd ever get a signal out there...

Comcast, though, for some reason cannot get a signal to show up in my
house over a physical cable.

> Yeah, Dish has a lot of infomercial and shopping channels.  Very
> telling that when in vacation standby, that stuff is still available.
> You can program the receiver with a custom list of channels so you can
> flip through just the stuff you want.  I think it has like 10 personal
> lists available.

I thought you could, and I tired for about a minute, once...then I gave
up.  I quit watching much of anything, and the t.v. tends to be for my
wife and son, who figured out the essence of the thing in by the time
the installer had left.

> Dish has the pay-per-porn too but it's way up in the channels where
> you don't normally see it.  I'm a pretty liberal minded guy but I
> don't think it's appropriate to have on by default.  They should ask
> you at start up, or "opt in" to see it.  You can hide or disable it
> easily enough, but it should work the other way around.

I remember them having it, I just didn't remember, "Stacie and Tanya
Take Huge Anal All Night" showing up so prominently on the channel
guide.  How about just, "Adult Program" and I have to select the program
detail to see more?

*That* I will invest the time into figuring out how to disable.  I never
considered myself conservative in that fashion, and my first thought
when i saw it was that this would be a good opportunity for my son and I
to have a discussion about what that sort of thing was--he's still young
enough that it'd work.  But the more I scroll through it, the more I
think it might annoy me more than any effect it's having on him.  He's
usually looking for the Disney Channel, and he knows how to get straight
to it.

> (anyone seen the scene in Clerks where Randall is phoning the video
> order?  "...oh, and "Happy Scrappy Hero Pup")

Excellent movie.  :-)

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive