[Shop-talk] Gutters

Subject: [Shop-talk] Gutters
From: jibjib at att.net (Jack Brooks)
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 18:05:30 -0800
Steve,

Seattle.  Yeah, the foam inserts could freeze solid, but I'm not sure it
would cause ice dams any worse than an unprotected gutter filling with snow
and/or ice.

Fortunately, there are not any real concerns about ice dams here, like I had
back in the NY/NJ area.  Our problem is spruce needles.  Bazzillions of
short, thin, pesky needles that create dams in the gutters.  I could clean
or pay to clean the gutters several times a year and one side of the house
is 3 stories, 2 sides are 2-3 stories and the other is 2 stories.  For the
Pacific Northwet <grin>, the foams are a good solution.  We do not get much
snow and ice, but lots of "not particularly heavy" rain, at least compared
to an eastern Thunderstorm.

Jack