Re: [Shop-talk] Tig Welder

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tig Welder
From: <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 12:16:46 -0400
I think if a company has a branch in your state then your state can require
them to collect income taxes.  For instance I can mail order from some
companies without paying sales tax, but other companies that have warehouses in
my state are required to collect tax.  CA (or maybe KA) has repeatedly tried to
pass laws requiring collection of income tax for businesses with very minor
business connections in the state, for instance if a company has an advertising
relationship with a website based in KA, then KA can require them to collect
sales tax.  So far these laws have not passed.  KA is thinking this will boost
their tax collection, but what it would probably do is to sever relationships
with these companies and reduce revenue collected by KA businesses, thus
reducing KA's tax collections.

> My understanding--I'm not a lawyer--is that there is no law requiring any
>seller to collect tax on items sold/shipped to
> a purchaser from outside that seller's home state (but there will be
>eventually--bet on it).  I live in California, so
> it is up to me to declare out-of-state purchases and pay the sales tax, which
>I generally do (if I can find the paperwork).

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums