Re: [Shop-talk] Metric wrenches

To: Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Metric wrenches
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 22:37:16 -0500
On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>> But so far, aside from one brake line fitting that seemed to
>> be 10mm, every
>> other fastener is an odd size. B Am I ever going to need the even sized
>> wrenches?
>
> Dunno what the head sizes are on a TR8, but Toyotas seem to have a lot of
> even-mm sizes. B Might be the difference between JIS and ISO?

Standards, so many to choose from.   There are three common metric
bolt standards.[1] For a given diameter, JIS will be smaller (above
6mm.  6mm and below, they're mostly the same.  except for really small
stuff, which are a different set of standards.)  JIS use 12mm heads
for 8mm bolts and 14 for 10mm, which are pretty common car stuff.  DIN
use 13 and 17 mm heads for those sizes (except where they don't,
because they've decided that 17 is just too big and will shear bolts.)
 ISO use 13 and 16.  Bigger than that, I'd have to look it up.

Who knows what Triumph was doing on the TR8.  (sounds like DIN, which
I don't hink has any even sizes above 6mm (10mm head) until they get
really big (30mm heads on 20ish mm bolts)

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html