[Shop-talk] John Deere LX188 Carb Removal

Subject: [Shop-talk] John Deere LX188 Carb Removal
From: Paul at Parkanzky.com (Paul Parkanzky)
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 11:05:01 -0400
All,

I have a ~15-20 year old John Deere LX188 lawn tractor with a 17 HP Kawasaki
twin-cylinder water-cooled engine.  I used to have occasional problems with
surging.  I've since (somewhat inadvertently) run a couple of tanks of rusty
fuel through it and now it won't run under load.  I've replaced the fuel
filter, but I'm fairly certain that I've also plugged jets in the carb.  I
bought a carb rebuild kit thinking that I'd tackle it myself.

Does anybody have any experience pulling the carb from one of these?  I
tried Googling for a tutorial and couldn't find one.  I pulled the 'hood'
off the mower and poked around, but it looks like to get the carb off I have
to remove the intake.  To remove the intake, I have to remove the radiator.
 To remove the radiator, I have to remove the entire top-end of the motor.
 Etc.  If this is true, then it might be a job for the pros down at the John
Deere $tealer$hip.  If it's not as bad as it looks at first glance then I'll
keep removing nuts and bolts.

I need to get moving on this, as our hilly, 3/4 acre lot is more than I want
to have to push-mow for the rest of the summer with a 22" trimming mower.

Obligatory shop content:  This 'project' is occupying a bay of my garage and
forcing me to park a car outside until it's taken care of.

Thanks,

-Paul