[Shop-talk] Repair for polycarbonate suitcase

Subject: [Shop-talk] Repair for polycarbonate suitcase
From: ronnie.day at gmail.com (Ronnie Day)
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 11:15:59 -0500
I have a polycarbonate suitcase with a small crack -- a little over an inch
> long, running from one of the feet to the edge of the piece.
>
> The manufacturer sent us a new one when I sent in a photo of the crack on a
> warrantee claim.
>
> Now, if I fix this crack, I'll have two nice suitcases.
>
> So, any suggestions as to how to fix a polycarbonate suitcase?
>
> I've read something about a really heavy-duty solvent that will melt the
> material and fuse it back together... if that's the best way to go, then
> suggestions on acquisition, use and handling, and disposal of the solvent
> would be helpful.  If there's something else I should try, let me know what
> that might be.
>
> Shop content?  Well, my wife stickered up the suitcase with stickers we got
> at vendor booths at vintage races at Monza.  Not shop related, exactly, but
> it's the best I could do.

Matt,

How about a piece of fiberglass cloth attached using resin? This would
reinforce the entire area. If the feet are attached with rivets, drill them
out, remove the foot and run the cloth well past the holes. I'll bet the
holes created a stress point where the crack started in the first place. It
should be easy to re-drill the holes and reattach the foot with rivets or
small screws and nyloc nuts.

FWIW,
Ron