Re: [Shop-talk] software

To: ShopTalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] software
From: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 15:52:09 -0400

--0000000000008f794705b105ef89

Howdy,

Take a look at Libre Office.  It's one of the main free/open source
solutions that are out there.  Been using it for years at home because I'm
too cheap to buy MS Office stuff like I use at work.  Comparing the two,
its very, very rare that I run into something I do at work in MS Office
that I struggle with in Libre Office.

Another choice might be Google Docs.  More of a cloud thing, but if you're
already in the Google universe and particularly if you have ChromeBooks for
stuff, Google Docs is pretty solid.  Again, for generic / standard use,
that should do everything you need it to.

Both will certainly print things to a PDF.  :)

Mark

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 3:41 PM Tim . <tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com> wrote:

> Had to buy a new laptop. For years I've been using an office products
> suite license that I bought years ago. As each old laptop dies, I get
> another used one, move the license, etc etc.
>
> This Win10 machine won't run this old software. No surprise there.
>
> Sooooooo.....I need Word and Excel for my side hustle. I am not against
> buying stand alones if I have to but if I am seeing this correctly, they
> are now only "annual licenses" that would have to be renewed each year.
> What a crock...er, I mean racket.
>
> I looked at open source but there are so many that I quickly got confused.
>
> One thing that is a must have is creating an invoice in Word then saving
> it as a pdf for sending to our customers. If none of the open source stuff
> has this feature, then I'd be forced to go with Word.
>
> Shop content: I am selling buying and selling parts that are stored in my
> garage shop and my basement shop.
>
> Thanks all
> tim

--0000000000008f794705b105ef89

=A0 It&#39;s one of the main free/open source solutions that are out there.=
=C2=A0 Been using it for years at home because I&#39;m too cheap to buy MS =
Office stuff like I use at work.=C2=A0 Comparing the two, its very, very ra=
re that I run into something I do at work in MS Office that I struggle with=
 in Libre Office.<br><br>Another choice might be Google Docs.=C2=A0 More of=
 a cloud thing, but if you&#39;re already in the Google universe and partic=
ularly if you have ChromeBooks for stuff, Google Docs is pretty solid.=C2=
=A0 Again, for generic / standard use, that should do everything you need i=
_attr">On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 3:41 PM Tim . &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tims_dats=
un_stuff@outlook.com">tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div=
-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">

:rgb(0,0,0)">
Had to buy a new laptop. For years I&#39;ve been using an office products s=
uite license that I bought years ago. As each old laptop dies, I get anothe=
r used one, move the license, etc etc.=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
This Win10 machine won&#39;t run this old software. No surprise there.=C2=
=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
Sooooooo.....I need Word and Excel for my side hustle. I am not against buy=
ing stand alones if I have to but if I am seeing this correctly, they are n=
ow only &quot;annual licenses&quot; that would have to be renewed each year=
. What a crock...er, I mean racket.=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
I looked at open source but there are so many that I quickly got confused.=
=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
One thing that is a must have is creating an invoice in Word then saving it=
 as a pdf for sending to our customers. If none of the open source stuff ha=
s this feature, then I&#39;d be forced to go with Word.=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
Shop content: I am selling buying and selling parts that are stored in my g=
arage shop and my basement shop.=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
:rgb(0,0,0)">
Thanks=C2=A0all</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">