[Shop-talk] Dead battery question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Dead battery question
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net> GwZMbGvc1HKhn+i1RfJlVatwEWddV2BEp7rLKmoobpjTrQ8LzJVwVCBNU7xItpUFVZ9MRDJ8ZGJ3e/vH+2vcN+lay8zVnj5wyfE=
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2023 16:34:59 -0500
Hey gang,

Got a simiple question for your all.  But before I start, I want to thank the
manufacturers of all the new cars and the new fangled crap they put
on them, NOT!

I own a '06 Scion xB and a '12 Scion xB, but I'm pretty sure this applies to
other brands also.

1. Only the drivers door can be opened with a key

2. Can't open the rear hatch/trunk as no key latch.

3. A solenoid to "Lock" the gearshift in Park

So now you have a dead battery.  Wife and I went out yesterday morning to
get so donuts to ring in the Ney Year with (an long standing tradition in my
family.  Got the donuts and went to go home.  Put the key in the ignition
and nothing!  Great a dead battery.

I have a jump box, and it's in the back behind the rear seat.  Can't open the
hatch as it's electrical.  So I lay the back seat down and slide in
and get the
jump box.  It's deader than a door nail also.  So it's no help.

Not to mention I can't get the car out of part to be able to push the car out
of the parking space due to the electrical solenoid that needs to be retracted
to allow me to move the gear shift lever.

Called my sons (as they were home for Xmas) and they came to get us with
jumper cables.  We jump the car and start for home.  Get home and go to
take the battery out of my '06 and up in the wife's '12 so we can drive her
car around.

Again I want to thank the manufacture for saving me $1 by making the
wiring harness fit so perfectly and for changing the way and type of battery
used.  We had to turn the battery around because one of the cars the
positive post ends up closest to the fender, on the other car the negative
post is closest to the fender.  There is NOT enough give to move the wiring
harness the 2" to make the connection to the other battery.

I am thinking of taking a "aux" cigarette plug and connecting a 9V battery
and to pluging that into the "aux" power outlet it to reverse feed
the car's electrical system?  I don't have an schmetics of the car's
electrical system.  I
was hoping that a 9V battery would have enough power to allow you to
nlock the doors, and possibly get the car out of park.

Has anyone tried this.  I thought I saw something like this
advertised some years back.

John

                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    http://autox.team.net/morgan/
Bricklin:     http://www.bricklin.org

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction