[Shop-talk] left the light on?

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] left the light on?
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net> mail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 21:39:11 -0500
I find that lights and other things keep getting left on in my
garage/shop that should be turned off.  If I leave the garage door
open, I get notifications on my phone from my opener.  I'm looking
for something like that for my lights.  I can use something like a
smart bulb or smart plug on a circuit controlled by a wall switch.  I
can see if the smart device is alive or if power to it has been
cut.  I can also replace that wall switch with a smart switch.  I can
then see the status of that switch.  What I don't seem to be able to
do is tell it to send me a notification if the light has been on for
more than an hour.  I have looked at a few smart switches, smart
bulbs and smart plugs.  Obviously, I haven't checked them all.   None
seem to support doing this.  I thought maybe IFTTT would help, but I
haven't figured out how to do it.  Do any of you have any
ideas?  Also, I know I could use timers, motion sensors, etc to
control things.  That would be another way to go.  Right now, I just
want a notification based on being turned on for an amount of time.  Thanks.

-Steve T.