Re: [Shop-talk] left the light on?

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] left the light on?
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 13:40:09 -0500
Lots of interesting ideas!

webcam.  This will allow me to look and see if the lights are on, but
I don't think it can send me a notification if they are left on.

Alexa.  This is interesting.  If I can tell Alexa to alert me if
lights are on for an hour, that would be good.  I'm not sure if it
can do that.  I'll have to look into it.

Motion sensor + backup light.  This is a different approach that I
will consider if I can't get what I'm looking for.

Wyze switch.  I am not familiar with the switch, but I do have Wyze
smart plug modules and smart light bulbs.  The Wyze app does not seem
to support what I'm looking for.

Thermostat hijack.  There's really no reason to do that.  It still
won't give me the notifications I want.  If I just want to turn light
on or off, I can do that with smart switch, smart plug module or
smart switch.

You guys are all great at creative problem solving.  I was hoping to
figure out how to get a notification if the lights are left on.  If I
can't find a way to do that, I will have to look into some of these
things as a plan B.  Thank you all!

-Steve