Re: [Shop-talk] Cutting canvas rolls?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cutting canvas rolls?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 12:12:26 -0400

> On Jun 14, 2023, at 6:35 PM, Donald H Locker <dhlocker@protonmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is the objective to cut the 12ft roll length into shorter rolls, or to
> cut the rolled canvas into shorter 12ft-wide lengths?

Yes, from 12' long down to 4' long.

They tried unrolling and it's many dozens of yards long so that got shut down
quickly.

> Assuming the former, the cutting tool must have no teeth but must be
> able to cut through the depth of the roll. A knife at least four feet
> long (to be able to cut the full circumference of the first pass) long
> will be required. Rolling the canvas rolls on the floor while pressing
> the knife on it is the only way I know to achieve a clean cut. The knife
> MUST be sharp and very stiff.
>
> If the latter, a utility knife is the right answer.

I have never seen a four foot utility knife :-)

An electric turkey carver is my goto for stuff like foam but the canvas is
stout and I don't see it working.

A rotary razor is ideal, but the best I can come up with is a disc grinder
which doesn't have the depth.

Thanks for all the ideas so far.

jim