Re: 1500 Reliability

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 1500 Reliability
From: Roger Garnett <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 09:18:37 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>Adrian wrote:
>> Does the 1500 have a reputation for blowing after a short period of
>> time?
>
>  The engine has a weaker-than-desirable bottom end. It is especially
>intolerant of poor maintenance,

Typical failures include rod through the block, often #3. Also, the
half-circle crank thrust bearings tend to fall out when worn, leading to
severe crank end play, which may precipitate the first item. You can test
the end play by trying to lever the crank pulley back and forth, possible
with the clutch disengaged. If you find .030-.080 of play instead of
.003-.008, yo9u've dropped the bearings.

While the 1275 was extremly reliable, and would continue to run when
terribly worn, the 1500 also seems to fail more often in the Midget than
the Spitfire. One theory is a transplant rejection (TR into MG), while
another is that the Midget has less airflow than the Spit, making it's
bearing problems show up more readily.  In either case, an oil cooler is
reccommended for 1500 Midgets to help the bearing problem.

I've got one of those1500 Midgets that came to me with #3 through the side.
New engine in process.

Roger

Roger Garnett   rwg1@cornell.edu  (607) 533-7735
The Wayward Sports Car Centre http://www.wayward.team.net