steering bush

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: steering bush
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 22:52:42 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I have quite a bit of play in the top of my steering column of my '65
Sprite. I can rattle my steering wheel up and down about 0.5 to 1.0 inches.
The Haynes manual indicates that the steering bush needs replacement, but
I'm not clear whether this is the problem as the bush looks great and there
does not appear to be any play of the outer column within the bush (ie, the
bush squeezes the outer column firmly). Rather, the top of the steering
column seems to be pivoting at the bush. I can see the steering column
moving down at the firewall when I pull up on the steering wheel. However,
there does not seem to be any play at the joining of the column to the
rack.

Is this normal or should I dig deeper?

Jeff Boatright
Editor-in-Chief, Molecular Vision