Re: "Ground-up" restoration

Subject: Re: "Ground-up" restoration
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 22:36:35 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi, Tyson!
Removal of the main harness from the engine bay is fairly straightforward
and simple.  With all the connectors disconnected and the harness
unclamped, you can feed the harness through the big grommet on the right
side of the firewall into the cockpit (or push the grommet through the
firewall and feed the harness through the hole).   Disconnect the dash
connections, and if you're going to paint the shell you probably want to
remove the dash.  It's attached with about six nuts along the upper edge
behind the dash.
Removing the part of the harness that goes from the cockpit to the rear of
the car is a little more difficult, but after disconnecting the wires from
the trunk light, trunk light switch, and tail lights, I tied a piece of
string to the ends of these parts of the harness and then fed them toward
the cockpit.  This required a little alternate feeding from the back and
pulling from the front, but eventually I got all of the harness into the
cockpit.  I left the strings in place, and used them to feed the harness
back through the nooks and crannies during reinstallation.

Although I had a wiring diagram, as I disconnected each part of the
harness, I made a rough sketch of the harness with wire colors, special
connectors, etc. identified to aid in reassembly.   The sketches also
showed me how the harness was originally routed/clamped.  I found this very
valuable.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt."  -- Mark Twain