Re: GREEK Sprite

To: "Evangelos G. Makris" <emakris@hol.gr>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GREEK Sprite
From: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 14:17:10 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hey Evangelos!

I think that you can maintain your car all by yourself with the help of
this group and all of the mail-order houses. I have not had mine long, but
I do all of my maintenance. For raising the car, I use a floor jack, then
put jack stands at the four courners.

To clear:
Rear: Floor jack under the differential housing. Be careful not to mar the
drain plug. Once the car is jacked up, I put jack stands under the front
supports of the springs.

Front: I center a 2x4 piece of wood on the floor jack such that it
traverses the the frame beams that are on either side of the engine. Once
it's jacked up, I put jack stands under the frame beams.

Be careful with all of this. The Sprite is strong, but the underside panels
will be dented by poor jack placement.

The first few times I got the car up it took some time (like half an hour).
Now that I'm confident, I have the car up in the hour in abou 10 minutes.

Good luck.

Jeff

>Greetings from Greece to all of you, Sprite owners and fans!
>
>For the last 10 days I've been the new owner of an excellent
>AH Sprite. It is a late HAN8L car, in BRG with black interior,
>matching BRG hardtop and wire wheels.
>
>Except for a few things missing (tonneau, soft-top cover,
>external rear view mirror, radio, ashtray, right wiper,
>hazard lights, etc) it feels and looks great, drives so too.
>
>Buying a car like this here is really a very daring act.
>The local car "technicians" show very little respect to any
>car, judging by their attitude towards my 1978 Mini, all these
>years, so....
>
>I have to maintain the Sprite alone.
>
>Is this feasible? How can I do it? Please help me in any way you can.
>
>For example, I need to safely raise the car so I can work under it.
>There is a replacement fuel pump on its way (the current one is
>dribbling a drop a second) and I will have to install it. Although
>ground clearance is excellent I cannot possibly do it with
>the car on its wheels!!!
>
>Then there is some speedometer error. The SN6142/OI___920 Smiths
>item won't show any more than 50 km/h and the Sprite can do
>at least twice as that! The needle jumps and "hiccups" and the
>odometer registers every other kilometer! The trip thing under
>the instrument is on strike too. Any ideas? (Sprite is wearing
>155 R13 Michelin Classics)
>
>All or any advice will be greatly appreciated
>
>Best regards
>
>Evangelos Makris
>Greece

Jeff Boatright  '65 Sprite Mk III  >>>Safety Fast!>>>__o_\__
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html