SU carb dashpot function

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SU carb dashpot function
From: jphender@inav.net
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 08:47:41 -0600 (CST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hello all,

I just re-assembled the first of my two SU2s last night and am a bit
confused as to how it functions.  This is what I THINK I understand:

There are two methods for getting more fuel into the air channel.  One is
to pull down on the jet (ie choking) and the other is to pull the needle
out of the jet (ie acceleration).

Questions:

1.  How does the needle get pulled out of the jet?

2.  If you fill the dashpot "to the threads", won't the oil drain into the
engine?

3.  What engages the piston lift-pin?

4.  Shouldn't there be a gasket on the dashpot cover?

5.  WHAT MAKES IT GO?

Thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be another great lesson!

Jim