Re: sorry anyway

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, Sprite List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: sorry anyway
From: Patton Dickson <kpatton@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 11:10:33 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Trevor Boicey wrote:

> Rick Doig wrote:
> > By the end of 1960 it was decided by BMC management that: 1.) The
> > car was to be re-designed 2.) The factory would "badge engineer" an
> > MG version (that's why it's the Sprite MarkII and the Midget MarkI)
>
>    ...which incidently sent sales through the roof.
>
>   While the Frogeye's are very desirable today for their
> styling, the square styling was a big hit at the time. I guess
> it made the car seem like more of a car and less of a little
> toy, which made it a justifiable purchase to more people.

Actually Trevor,

They sold OK, but sales did not soar.  Look at the production figures...  1962
and 1964 were
the only years that BMC's squarebody outsold the 1960 Bugeye, and that was less
than 5%
more.   And with twice the dealer networks!!!!  General marketing principals
say that the
additional outlets should have translate to more sales.  Some of the later, BL
Midget, sales
were up there, but I do not have the figures handy

YEAR    SPRITES  MIDGETS
________________________
1958     8729      N/A
1959    21566      N/A
1960    18665      N/A
1961    10059     7656
1962    12041     9906
1963     8852     7625
1964    11157    11450
1965     8882     9162
1966     7024     6842
1967     6895     8330
1968     7049     7372
1969     6129    13085
1970     1292    14811
1971     1022    16410

--
Patton Dickson                   Dallas, TX

1967 Austin-Healey Sprite        H-AN9-L/69437
See My Austin-Healey Sprite Page
http:// www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/1256/page2.html