Re: 79 Midget Dual line master cylinder

To: Heather & Joe Way <sierrasa@psln.com>
Subject: Re: 79 Midget Dual line master cylinder
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 18:18:42 -500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net (spridgets)
Comments: Authenticated sender is <rwg1@postoffice2.mail.cornell.edu>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On 18 Nov 97 at 16:57, Heather & Joe Way wrote:

> > "Gently move the piston up and down in the cylinder bore to free the nylon
> > guide bearing..."   That might work on a brand new assembly.  Out of five
> > master cylinders I have recently disassembled, only one nylon bearing (the
> > one out of my Midget) came out relatively easily.
> > Steve Byers

> I have a porta-power pump set up with a collection of adapter fittings
> to pump out pistons. Sometimes it's necessary to seal other ports with
> plugs or clamps. 1500lbs of hydraulic pressure will almost always move
> them--

But, but, but-- the main reason there is a problem, is that there is another
circlip under the nylon part. This is what keeps keeps the piston from pushing
it out. Even a lot of pressure isn't going to work, unless you expect the
piston to shear the circlip. (that would make a mess! )

I've tried tapping into the nylon with long sharp screws- no go. Best still
seems to be to break it up, and remove the pieces.
 Roger Garnett  (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)  http://www.wayward.team.net/
                  "The Wayward Sports Car Centre"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."