Re: RPM drop

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: RPM drop
From: Dwgwater@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 11:20:31 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-11-21 10:21:43 EST, redlotus@spacey.net writes:

<< This is similar to my car. I think all cars that use non-roller
 > > (graphite) throwout bushings suffer from this.
 > >
 > >   For the same reason, you get faster starts in neutral with
 > > the clutch out rather than in. And for related reasons, don't
 > > sit at stop lights with the clutch in >>

Can someone please run this one by me again?  The clutch throwout bearing
puts more load on the engine than turning the trans in neutral(even with cold
trans oil)?  Even though I replaced a clutch in a 69 Midget many years ago, I
don't really understand how they work (beyond push the pedal and the clutch
disengages), but I find it hard to believe that anyone, even the British,
would design a "bearing" that puts that amount of drag on the system.  I've
also never noticed the same effect on any other car.  I did notice the slower
cranking speed with the pedal depressed in my 70 Midget, but after checking
ground straps, I blamed it on evil gremlins and Lucas.

dave groundwater