Midget Pistons Question

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Midget Pistons Question
From: Adrian <adrian@utk.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 22:17:49 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Apparently my mail server decided to lose all my mail from
today...great!  Hope I didn't miss too much!

I spent the entire day trying to reassemble the 1500 engine.  All I got
done was getting the pistons in and bolted to the crank.  Mounted the
flywheel and went to turn it.  Half a turn and "thump!"  Turned it the
other way and "Thump!"  After mumbling a few explitives, I looked to
make sure that the arrows all pointed to the front of the engine, and
they did.  It seems that the machine shop put the rods on the pistons
backwards, which is something a better trained eye would have noticed
before installation, but I don't have one of those...  Anyway, the caps
are bumping into the block wall instead of spinning freely all the way
around, as normal engines do.

First of all, the pistons are from VB:  part no:  1-3156
Compression Ratio:  9.00/1, Head shape:  Flat, # of rings: 3

My question is this (and I am just asking to make totally sure):

Is there a MECHANICAL reason why I can't just turn the pistons around so
that the arrows all point to the REAR of the engine?  I don't know
enough about that sort of thing to know whether the pistons have arrows
to guide you in installation of the rods so you will have a point of
reference to install them all the same way, or if they are marked
because mechanically they won't work any other way.  I know the answer
(back to the machine shop) but I am just too irritated to accept it at
this time.

I called two brit car mechanics and one didn't remember if it mattered
and the other more or less swore by the arrows.  Anyway, thanks!

adrian

--
email:  adrian@icx.net

"How about going back to sleep for