More on British parts...

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More on British parts...
From: b-evans@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 20:58:50 -0800
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I didn’t realize that my post would spark so much interest in purchasing
car parts directly from England.  I would certainly urge everyone
interested to take a look at the “Monster List” at:

            http://www.team.net/sol/britpart.html#monster

While it far more comprehensive and better annotated than mine.  I have,
however,
gathered some sources not available there, and I have had at least a
passing acquaintance with the people.

In addition to those who have asked for the list, others have asked a
number of other
questions that perhaps have come to the mind of others.

>  How do I pay for parts from England.

The best way to pay is with a credit card.  Virtually all suppliers
accept MasterCard or Visa, and many accept American Express.  If,
perchance, I were to run across a supplier who did not accept plastic, I
would probably pass them by rather than go to the bank for a draft in
foreign currency.

>  Do English suppliers have catalogs that show costs in U.S. dollars?

Nope.  Just as you won’t find an American dealer printing special
catalogs in U.K.
pounds.

>  How will I know what the cost is in dollars?

By paying with a credit card, you are getting the best exchange rate
available, the
inter-bank rate that banks charge each other.  You can find this rate in
the financial pages of your newspapers, or on the internet at:

            http://www.premierltd.com/currency/

Yes, it may take a little effort on the buyer’s part, but no pain, no
gain.

>  Can I choose the method of shipping?

Generally, I trust merchants in Europe to select the best and least
expensive method of shipment.  It is, after all, their business in
getting the goods to the customer, and they have a vested interest in
keeping you happy.  You should, however, specify if you want your parts
shipped either the “fastest” or “least expensive” way.  Don’t be afraid
to call a supplier directly when establishing a relationship.  Off-peak
telephone rates are not that expensive.  And some of these suppliers,
such as Moss-Europe, also have web sites or e-mail.

>  Do you have the names of suppliers other than those dealing in Sprite parts?

The list I have put together includes suppliers who also deal in other
marques, since there is so much interchangability among British cars,
and I will take the time to check others to get the best price or terms.

>  How long does it take to get parts from England?

It all depends on how much you want to pay.  If it goes by mail, no
longer than it would from New York or Chicago.  (And sometimes faster.)
A very little longer by UPS.  The cheapest way to ship heavy parts is by
suface (ship), and that is generally determined by where you live.