Re: Santa's Exhaust System and a dumb question!

To: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Santa's Exhaust System and a dumb question!
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 10:42:11 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 26 Dec 1997, Mark Endicott wrote:

> Hi Spridgeteers:
>
> Santa (could also have been the neighbors) was good to me this year
> and dropped a new exhaust system down the chimney along with a few
> other bits and pieces.  But I got a question (no big surprise) This
> new "stock" tail pipe and muffler look like they are a little smaller
> diameter than what's on the 1275 now.  Also the burned out muffler on
> the car now has a chrome pipe out of the muffler and the new one
> doesn't, does anybody know what was original. Mine appears to be a
> replacement as there is just the single muffler and no pipe that runs
> behind the gas tank. If what Santa brought isn't right I am sure that
> he would exchange if for the right thing.

Mark,
the two-muffler system was used on later 1275s.  If you want one of the
best sounding exhaust notes of any car, get the earlier single muffler
system.  Make sure you get the pipe with the correct manifold flange.  The
early 1275 used a clamp-on design, while from 68 or 69 they used a real
flange, which I suspect is what you need.  This system not only sounds
most delicious, but also costs only ~$38 (pipe and muffler) at Special
Interest.  I highly recommend it.  The pieces are Walker and the muffler
does not come with a chrome sleeve over the tailpipe.  I am looking for
such a sleeve, but can't find one with a small enough diameter.

After an oil change I have to add a little over 4 qts of oil.  If you
changed you oil when the engine was cold, 3.5 qts. could be right.

                                                           '67 Sprite