Re: steering column bearing replacement

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: steering column bearing replacement
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 17:38:42 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Thanks for the reply. Along these lines, I read somewhere that the felt
should be soaked in oil. If so, what weight and for how long? This also
begs the question, how does one lube them for regular maintenance, or do
they just get replaced. What holds the flet in place from slipping up and
down the colmun -- just the squeeze fit between the columns?

Would you need a lathe to make nylon bushings? Could you use two hole saws,
one the ID of the outer column, the other the OD of the inner column, on a
drill press, of course.

>On Thu, 1 Jan 1998 mayfam@sprynet.com wrote:
>
>> Anyone know what these felt bearings do?
>>
>> Daryl
>
>Daryl, they do what any bearing does, just not as well :-)
>It was cheap for the manufacturer to use felt instead of say a brass
>bushing or a ball bearing.
>If I had access to a lathe, I would probably try to make bushings out of
>nylon or something like that.

>                                                           '67 Sprite

Jeff Boatright
Editor-in-Chief, Molecular Vision