Re: PISTONS 1275 cc

To: mayfam@sprynet.com
Subject: Re: PISTONS 1275 cc
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 20:36:13 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

mayfam@sprynet.com wrote:

> I have some new pistons and gudgeon pins for my 1275 cc.
>
> The gudgeon pins look like they will need to be press-fitted into the
>connecting rods.
> Also, the old gudgeon pins are currently press-fitted into the con rods
>attached to the
> old pistons and will need removing.
>
> The Haynes manual advises that this is a job for a machine shop.  Can anyone
>advise
> whether I can do this job in the garage using a vise?  Any special tools or
>precautions?

 The gudgeon (wrist) pins have to be done at a shop.
The con-rods are heated to a specific temperature to expand then the wrist
(gudgeon) pin is
driven out. The same process is used to fit the new pistons to the rods.

If you are replacing pistons it is posible to heat the rods at home with a
torch and drive
out the old pins. I have done this several times. Do NOT try to re fit them at
home, save
this for the machine shop.

--
Frank Clarici