Swaybar mounting busted!

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Swaybar mounting busted!
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 20:56:34 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The frame rails that the sway bar is mounted to are of solid construction
on the sides and the top, but the bottom is closed off with some thin
sheetmetal.  The swaybar was an afterthought and this sheetmetal was not
reinforced but the tapped pieces of thick steel that the brackets bolt to
were just welded onto the thin sheetmetal.
As predicted by Michael Chaffee a long time ago, this metal has now torn
on my car where it connects to the frame rail.

Has anyone successfully repaired this defect?
I don't have a welder (and don't weld), so replacing the thin sheetmetal
with thicker material and reattaching the bracket mounts might be rather
expensive (and I wouldn't know who would do that for me).
Any tips?

                                                           '67 Sprite