steering shaft bushings II

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: steering shaft bushings II
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 20:00:42 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Finally got to the car this evening (lots of pruning earlier today).

The steering wheel, tube, and shaft are out and things look different from
what my local Moss reseller sold me. The lower bush that is currently on
the car is not wide (huge!) but rather is fairly narrow (maybe 3/4 inch)
and is housed in what looks to be a copper clip. The clip has two arms that
fit into a slot in the lower end of the outer tube. This assembly (the felt
bush and retaining clip) had slipped out and were dangling on the inner
column, hence my rattly steering wheel.

Both Haynes and the BL workshop manual show that either the  narrow
bush/clip assembly or the wide bush alone is proper for a Mk III Sprite (I
think). My question is, is one better than the other, since I can do either
at this point (the bushes in the car look pretty new and in good shape)?

OTOH, the "draught excluder" (rubber bellows that fits at the firewall) is
pretty shot. Any reason to buy new rather than make do with the old?
(safety, comfort, etc)?

Finally, should the splines of the pinion stub and lower end of the
steering column be greased (similar to what is done with wire wheel
splines?)

Thanks in advance.

Other than these concerns, this has been a 15 minute job so far. Thanks for
all the replies I got earlier, especially those about safety and the grade
8 pinch bolt.

Jeff

Jeff Boatright      __o_\__                         '65 A-H Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html