Re: Order of operations question

To: jphender@soli.inav.net
Subject: Re: Order of operations question
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 12:43:10 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
You forgot to set the static timing to about 5 deg btdc or so.  also, if you
have new tappets, or camshaft and tappets, it's very important to run the
engine at no less than 2000 rpm for at least 20 minutes to break in the
camshaft to tappet surfaces.  So getting the timing close, having the carbs
with a fuel supply, having a cooling system, etc, are things that you really
should do before starting the engine.

Usually, I get the  thing timed while running it at 2000 - 3000 rpm (blip
the throttle to get 4500 rpm or so and set to max advance of about 30 deg),
and get a good basic idle after that.  Then, I fine tune after it's had a
chance to cool down for awhile.

One other thing - with SU's, always set the jets to two full turns down,
which is the basic setting for idle mixture.  Set the idle adjusting screws
to full off, and keep the car running manually for a minute or so, while you
screw them down to get the 2000 rpm idle.  then, set the idle to 900 rpm or
so after the 20 min are up.

Brian