Timing sprocket removal

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Timing sprocket removal
From: Lancer7676 <Lancer7676@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 06:39:35 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I am trying to change the timing chain out on my '67 Sprite. Engine is out of
the car and on engine stand.  The larger camshaft sprocket moves fine on the
shaft, but the crankshaft sprocket refuses to budge.   Clearance behind the
sprocket is not enough to get a gear puller behind it.   After prying with
screwdrivers and crow bars to no avail, I finally cut the timing chain with a
cut-off tool th gain more access to the sprocket and removed the camshaft
sprocket, but the crank sprocket is still frozen tight.  Still cannot get the
gear puller behind it.  I have pried and pulled and tapped but it still is
sitting there smiling at me.  I havenet tried heat yet, not knowing whether I
should heat up the end of the crankshaft.  I do not have actelyne, only
propane.

Anybody have any good ideas?

-----David
      '67 Sprite MKIV, Victoria, aka, Vicky