Re: originality, part 2, sacrilege

To: "spridgeteers" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, "Adrian" <adrian@utk.edu>
Subject: Re: originality, part 2, sacrilege
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 18:14:04 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> I mean, which parts can we and can't we change?

I was only kidding, and meant nothing by it.  I certainly don't want to
start a thread.  Anyone can change whatever thay want.  Personally, I
bought my Sprite because there's nothing on it or in it meant for doing
anything other than propelling the car forward (certainly, a Datsun 5 speed
fits this definition, just not for me on this car).  I have a friend who's
an originality freak who couldn't believe I bought a car with a ribcase and
a 3.90 rear.  I don't have the heart to tell him the BRG paint and biscuit
interior aren't correct either.  Personally, I'd paint the universe BRG if
I could, and on my LBC's, that's how it will always be.  I also love the
feeling when a rolling downshift into non-synchro first is perfectly
executed (go into second, drop the revs, etc), and I get a real kick out of
side curtains, a manual heater valve, and a pull starter.  Then again, I
also think Bruce Springsteen has a better voice than Whitney Houston.
There's no accounting for taste.

We all buy our cars for different reasons: I found it very ironic that I
was driven to an airport in a gee-whiz high tech 1997 Mercedes Benz to fly
600 MPH in a jet airplane to drive home 1100 miles in an aging
hypochondriac of a sports car with no windows, no ventilation system to
speak of, and pizza-cutter tires all for an internal need to simplify.  I
also got a kick out of driving my (former) Miata cross country twice, at
some points with the windows rolled up, the air conditioning on, and the CD
player blasting.  For me, the 2 concepts are great individually, and should
be kept seperate.  I feel lucky that I've gotten to enjoy them both.  As is
said in italian, "tutti I gusti son' gusti", or "to each his own".

Enjoy 'em however you like, just enjoy 'em,
Ron