Re: galling

To: tobisj@aud.alcatel.com (Shawn J. Tobin)
Subject: Re: galling
From: Les Myer <lmyer@qtm.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 02:45:30 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I always understood galling as transfer of metal from one part to another.
For example, transfer of metal from the threads of a bolt hole to threads
of the bolt (or vice versa) as you take it out.  Usually a result of
corrosion or extreme friction and is particularly a problem when one of the
metals are soft (like a steel bolt in an aluminum bolt hole).

If corrosion is causing the galling, SS bolts should be better - but that
won't stop an aluminum bolt hole from corroding.  I would use anti-seize
compound if you are concerned - the stainless bolts are quite expensive.

Les Myer