Re: galling/neverseize

To: Ron Soave <redlotus@spacey.net>
Subject: Re: galling/neverseize
From: Peter <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:33:24 -0800
Cc: "Shawn J. Tobin" <tobisj@aud.alcatel.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ron Soave wrote:

> > Shawn
> > novice
>
> You're not a novice - I was on an Air Force base recently where I told a
> maintenance team on a VERY expensive aircraft to lubricate some threads
> to prevent galling, and not one knew what it was.  It's sort of a
> tearing of metal by another metal due to hardness/strength mismatch,
> excessive pressure/tightening or a lack of lubrication.  Really good
> fasteners come with lubricants or coatings on them to prevent it from
> happening.  It's sort of a reverse of thread stripping.
>
> Anti-Seize (same as neverseize) is made by Permatex (the good folks who
> brought you Loctite).  It's Permatex number 133A, and I buy mine at Pep
> Boys.  A tube lasts a while.
>
> Ron
Hello,
        Been watching this thread. Good stuff never sieze compounds. Many
varieties available for various temps, etc. BUT, a cuation, be aware
that this and other compounds may change your torque values when
needed!  Just a thought that an mech. eng. can expound on.   Cheers
        Peter
--
World Wide Auto Parts of Madison
2517 Seiferth Rd. Madison WI USA 53716