Bearings - how tight - reply to all

To: spridgets list <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Bearings - how tight - reply to all
From: Guy Weller <GuyWeller@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 16:40:05 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Paul, No I didn't check these things. I am sure you are right about
short-life motors but

a)   I can use plastiguage OK, but don't have access to accurate enough
dial guages or large enough mics. for checking the mains journals or for a
bent crank.

b)  If I pay an engineer to grind the crank and supply the matching bearing
shells, then I should be able to rely on him to do just that.

Actually he now has the block, crank and bearings back and is checking it
out.  I have dealt with him before, he is very good  and he always does a
good job.  He has offered to set up the crank for me (not apart of the
original deal) FOC.  He rang thisafternoon to say that the problem is with
a damaged front bearing cap which is "out of round".  He is trying to get
hold of another and then will line bore it to get it right.

Engine wasn't running when I got (given) the car, and I don't know anything
about history or PO.

Thanks also to Les, Daryl, Dave, Jim  and others !

I'll let you know the outcome.

Guy