Re: A new radio question

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: A new radio question
From: Randell Jesup <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>
Date: 22 Jan 1998 16:38:11 -0500
Cc: Amy Soich <casoich@sgi.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu> writes:
>>  I have a sprite that is positive earth and was wondering, what kind of
>> problems is this going to cause me when i want to install a stereo?

        I blew up a CB radio when in high school ('80) when I forgot about
this.

>> My uncle is a truck driver and said that lots of trucks are positive
>> ground and i could probably buy a radio for a truck and use it. Any

        If you can find one, great.  Not common by any means.  I used to
have an AM ground-switchable radio in my first Sprite.

>If not, you have to keep any metal on the radio from touching the body of
>the car.  Mine is mounted to a piece of wood which is mounted to the body.
>Also the antenna has to be insulated from the body where it mounts to the
>car.

        Too dangerous: if something touches, poof.  Switch the ground of
the car.  The procedure is fairly straightforward except for switching the
tach (if it's not one of the early mechanical tach cars).  Even the tach
only requires cutting and reversing the wires to the loop, if I remember
correctly.  You also have to reverse the coil connections, the fan
connections I think, and repolarize the generator.

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com