hub removal

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: hub removal
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 23:18:40 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hello Spridgeteers!

My '65 Sprite has wire wheels. I'm trying to yank the right front brake
disc off. I've removed the calipers and the set screws that pass through
the hub of the disc. The disc is now loose, but I can't seem to pull the
hub. The workshop manual says that I need a special tool (18G 032 I think).
I have a set of generic hub pullers, but I'm not sure that they will work.
Someone on the list said that they just use a hammer. To be really dense,
just how is it that you use the hammer? Do you bang on the back side of the
brake disc? The disc is trashed, so I won't mind if it gets dented. I'm a
little leery of harming the hub and bearing, though. Is smacking the
backside of the disc useful and will it not harm important parts I'd just
as soon not damage?

TIA,

Jeff

Jeff Boatright