MASTER CYLINDER

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MASTER CYLINDER
From: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 15:37:20 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I am rebuilding the combined brake/clutch master cylinder on a Bug Eye.
Need help, please, on where one part goes.

The brake and clutch bores and piston assemblies differ ONLY in regard to a
small gizmo called a valve.  Looks like a tiny metal hat with a rubber
insert in it.  It goes at the end of the bore nearest the driver.

Here is the problem.  Which bore does it go in?  The Haynes book (1982
edition, page 120, fig 5.2) says it goes in the brake bore - right side I
assume.  I am certain that when I removed it, it came from the left
(clutch) side - though the cylinder came out of a junk car without a known
history, so that may not prove much.

The cylinder (and I) await your kind assistance to allow reassembly.

Daryl