Exhausting questions

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Exhausting questions
From: James D Rowan <jimrowan@uic.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 12:47:40 -0600 (CST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Help!
I'm in the process of recoating the exhaust manifold and replacing the
exhaust system for my 948 '60 Sprite.
My question is in regards to the clamp that connects the
manifold to the down-pipe. Does this clamp just connect the 2 ports
(manifold/pipe) end to end or is there a ring flange which goes inbetween
the 2 ends? I took it apart and noticed there was a leak in the connection
(evidenced by a carbon stream) but there was no "ring" type connector.
It seems like there is something missing in order to make it a more
air-tight connection. Maybe I'm wrong?

Also, I'm gonna use Permatex ultra copper liquid gasket for the pipe
connections. I've used it on motorcycle exhuast systems and it worked
great. Can I do the same for the exhuast pipe/muffler connections on the
Sprite?

Thanks,
Jim Rowan