Re: Steering Rack Lube

To: chasdoug@gte.net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Steering Rack Lube
From: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 12:58:45 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>I asked on the spridget list about getting hypoid oil into the steering
>rack of a '60 bugeye, and a couple of responses were from people that
>used grease.  It looks to me like the PO used grease.
>
>What's the downside of this?
>
>Chas Douglass -- Seattle WA

The lube fitting is on the passeger side of the rack. How will you get
grease over to the driver side? I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just
pointing out the most likely downside.

There is a _very_ simple solution to this. Unscrew the grease fitting and
pour oil into the hole! I use a flex neck oil can and just squirt it in.
I'd warm up the oil the first time so as to soften any grease chunks that
may be blocking the oil access to all parts of the rack. Re-insert the
grease nipple. Drive around the block both directions, taking the corners a
little briskly, then reapply oil.

The downside to using oil is that if your boots are not in good shape, oil
will leak out where grease won't. This is a very likely outcome, but will
at least let you know that dust may be getting into the ball joints.

This worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.emory.edu/molvis