Re: converting to neg earth, was Re: oil filter?

To: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: converting to neg earth, was Re: oil filter?
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 18:17:24 -0500
Cc: casoich@sgi.net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Editors, Molecular Vision wrote:

> Amy,
>
> One thing about converting from + to - earth that I cannot find the answer
> to is the effect on SU fuel pumps. In theory those pumps have a
> polarity-sensitive diode (they sell one for - earth and one for + earth
> anyway). So, you say, just reverse the wires leading into the pump. OK, but
> does that make your pump move fuel the wrong direction? It may not, since
> these are diaphram pumps. But, I don't know for sure. Does anyone on the
> list?
>
> OTOH, numerous people have made the conversion. I just don't know if they
> have SU fuel pumps with diodes (they may have non-SU, after-market pumps or
> they may have really old, original SU pumps that never had diodes to worry
> about!)
>
> Jeff
>
> >Jeff,
> >
> > Well common consensus was that I should just convert my Sprite to negative
> >ground. Everyone claims it's fairly easy. There are instructions for the
> >conversion in one of the old issues on the PDLJMPR site. I haven't tried it
> >yet though.

All Sprites up to and including 1969 had the simple SU fuel pump.
No diode. You don't have to change any wires on the pump.
This is if it is an original...and if it is, now would be a good time to
replace it. Relying on a 30+ year old fuel pump is asking for trouble.
If you switch to neg grd, pick up a transistorized pump, they just about
fit the original bracket. Watch out for the $19.95 specials, they work but
are extremly noisy and never stop banging (note BANGING not ticking)
--
Frank Clarici
Seeing all of you at Sprite Rush 98