Re: converting to unleaded

To: "Evangelos G. Makris" <emakris@hol.gr>
Subject: Re: converting to unleaded
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:06:36 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I've been running my cars on unleaded for a number of years without having
to do a formal conversion.  Some have gone 30,000 km. A friend participated
in study of the actual effect of unleaded in cars like ours, and found that
the natural work and heat hardening of a well used iron valve seat actually
gave a significant amount of protection, compensating to a great degree for
the lack of lead.  So  personally wouldn't worry unless the cylinder head is
toast anyway.  Especially since the worst that can happen if something goes
wrong is you need to do a valve job, possibly installing valve seats to do
the unleaded conversion, but at a much later date!

Brian